Site news

What’s been happening in the school this week, Halloween/Firework party date, INSET Day and PE kit.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
What’s been happening in the school this week, Halloween/Firework party date, INSET Day and PE kit.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 16 September 2011, 6:03 PM

The second week of the year has finished already. There has been lots happening across the school and I know that the children have all been learning lots.

The children in Bear’s Cave have started to settle into their new routine and are getting more used to saying Goodbye to their parents at the beginning of each day.

In Lion’s Den the children have also been getting used to their new classes and have been learning what it's like to be in Lion's Den. They have made lion’s faces, drawn self-portraits and listened to stories. Elise their new French teacher has been making friends with them too.

In Class 1 the teachers have been finding out what the children already know. They have started to use their Journals, which are very important for them to demonstrate their emerging writing skills. They will be using these every week from now on. They have also made colourful rainbows to hang around their classroom. The children are getting used to finding their way around the main school building and have really enjoyed their first computer lessons.

In Class 2 their Unit of Work is all about toys. They started their Unit by playing a guessing the toy game and talking about the toy that they brought in for their toy library. In Literacy they have been recognising and identifying lower case letters by their sound, and in Numeracy counting up to 20 and beyond.

Class 3 are starting the year with Circus fun! They watched a circus show to find out about the different kinds of performance that take place, and have been starting to practise circus movements of their own. In Phonics they have been talking about final consonant sounds, which sounds very complicated to me, but I know they will be able to explain it to you very easily. In Numeracy they have been introduced to Pobble who will help them count in 1s (both forwards and backwards), and discovering how a 100 square works.

In Class 4 they have been deciding what they already know, and what they want to know about water in readiness for their Unit of Work about clean water and dirty water. In Numeracy they have been working with 3 digit numbers and partitioning them into hundreds, tens and units.

Class 5 are starting work on their Unit about the Active Planet, and I know that they have already been talking about their power point presentation and how they will share this with the rest of the school. In Numeracy they have been looking at place value. Their class photograph on the website shows just how enthusiastic they are to be back at school.

I was lucky enough to drop into Class 6 today when they were sharing fables that they had written. This was linked with their Unit of Work about myths, legends, fables and beliefs. They have written fables that could teach a moral to younger children, and I am sure they would be happy to share them with you. In Numeracy they were comparing and ordering numbers up to a million in both figures and words and explaining what each digit represents.

Class 7 have been using iPads in ICT this week. We were lucky enough to be the first school in Brussels to be involved in an initiative to trial iPads in the classroom. They have been using these to produce comic strips to explain the IPC personal goals. I know that these will be on display in the entrance hall very soon. Unfortunately the iPads will have to be returned but it has been a great experience and great fun for the children to have the opportunity to use them.
Their first Unit of Work - Mission to Mars and Beyond has encouraged them to think about the survival skills they would need if they were lost in the woods. The next step will be thinking about the possibility of surviving on Mars. In Numeracy they have also been looking at the position of digits in numbers and multiplying and dividing them by the power of ten.

As you can see learning is already in full swing!

You should have received a list of the dates for the academic year in your child’s blue bag today. I would just like to bring two of these to your attention. Firstly next Friday (23rd September) there will be no school for the children. It is an INSET day for teachers.

Secondly and very importantly, please ensure that you have noted the date of the famous BEPS Halloween/Firework party. For those of you that are new to the school this is a great event and it will take place on Saturday 22nd October. More information will be sent out from the PTA about this next week, but be sure to note the date in your diaries.

Our new BEPS PE kits have arrived and they are ready for collection. In order to make this work as smoothly as possible I would like to ask you to come to collect your child’s PE kit on the following days:

Monday 19th (between 08.30 and 9.00 or after school) - Classes 5, 6 & 7

Tuesday 20th (between 08.30 and 9.00 or after school) - Classes 2, 3 & 4

Wednesday 21st (between 08.30 and 9.00 or after school) - Class 1 and Pre-school

To help ensure this process runs smoothly we ask you to come on the day allocated for your child’s class.
You will be able to see the sizes available, try them on if necessary and make your decisions about the size required before coming into my office to collect and sign for the PE kit. Please note that the PE kit must be signed for by a parent or carer, this will help us keep track of our stocks and make sure that everybody has received their new PE kit. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding whilst this process is taking place.

Please ensure that you label your child’s PE kit with their name and class as soon as you have it.

I would like to remind you that dogs should not be brought into the playground or the grounds of our school. Some children and adults are frightened of dogs and we want to ensure that the grounds are also free from dog waste. If you do have to bring your dog in, it must be carried and children discouraged from touching it. If dogs are tied up outside, please make sure that they are well away from the gate and fence, so that people can enter and exit the school easily. Thank you for your co-operation.

Please remember that Sunday is car free day in Brussels. Unfortunately the weather forecast does not bode well for that day, but I hope that you can make the most of the opportunity to move around Brussels without the traffic.

Enjoy the weekend and see you all again on Monday.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett