Site news

New Units of Work

Picture of Mandy Porrett
New Units of Work
by Mandy Porrett - Thursday, 10 November 2011, 5:46 PM

The short week is over, but lots of enthusiasm has been generated during it. Most classes have started new Units of Work and are keen to be finding out more about them.

Class 1 are going to be concentrating on letters and numbers this half term and so will be busy ‘writing’ and counting.

The Class 2 Unit is all about Day and Night. It was very dark in their classrooms today you will have to ask them why.

According to the children in Class 3 they have found gold at BEPS. They were archaeologists digging for buried treasure to help them find out about the past. Their new unit Time Detectives sounds like it’s going to be great fun.

Class 4s new unit is Time Zones and they will be discovering that there are different time zones in the world and why these exist. They have been collecting together all the phrases associated with time that they can think of, they already have a good collection, but I am sure if you know any they will be interested to hear them.

We have young entrepreneurs in Class 5 who are going to be learning all about money and trade. There is talk of running a shop, so watch out for information about this.

I am very interested to learn what the Class 6 unit ‘Here and Now, There and Then’ is going to be about, but they have started by comparing their home country with Belgium.

Class 7 are going to be leading the world. In their unit will learn about the different ways that countries are ruled and governed and about some significant world leaders. This is another new unit and I am sure they will find it very interesting.

Lion’s Den are talking about the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears and will be looking at the contrasts that appear within it. I am sure there will be some porridge making taking place too.

Finally, Bear’s Cave are investigating autumn and they have had great weather for this. Next week they will be learning all about hedgehogs.

As you can see, there is plenty of scope for learning and fun, and all of that mixed in with the Winter Fair and the Winter Concert will mean another exciting and extremely busy half term.

Enjoy the long weekend.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett