Site news

General Strike. Trips and more…..

Picture of Mandy Porrett
General Strike. Trips and more…..
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 27 January 2012, 6:14 PM

As I am sure you are aware a General Strike is taking place on Monday (30th January). I am happy to inform you that this should not affect BEPS too much. The school buses will still be running and the hot lunch company has assured us that they will be providing hot lunches. It may prove more difficult than usual for some teachers to arrive on time but we will make sure that all of the children are safe and that classes are covered. Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Unfortunately this week has been dominated by illness. It started with the children and has now spread into staff too. I hope that everybody will be feeling better by Monday and that we will be back to a germ free BEPS. However, there have also been lots of good things too.

You may have noticed that the displays in the main areas of the school are gradually changing. The teachers have been working hard to put up samples of the children’s latest work. Please come in and take a look at the displays as they are fantastic and show what the hardworking BEPS population achieves. Try and find the time to stop and read what they have written and I am sure that you would like to join with me in thanking the teachers for displaying the children’s high quality work in such a creative and professional manner.

The week started with Class 5 having an IPC workshop with Cap Sciences on dental hygiene and the digestive system, which they enjoyed and learnt lots from. Today Class 2 have been to visit Ligue Braille. I was lucky enough to be able to join them and to find out all the different ways in which blind and partially sighted people cope with everyday life. It was very interesting and the children had the opportunity to experience how hard it is to move around when you are blind. I am sure that both classes will be happy to tell you all about the things they learnt from these experiences.

Next week two other classes will be going on trips. Pre-school will be having a day at the indoor playground at Kid’s Fantasyland and Class 4 will be visiting the Chocolate Museum. They are already looking forward to these trips. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the parents that kindly volunteer to accompany the teachers when they take the children on these trips. Without you they wouldn’t be possible.

This afternoon in Upper School Assembly the Class 7 students were campaigning to become House Captains. They each made a persuasive, confident and impressive speech before opening the secret ballot. The remaining Upper School classes then voted for their favourite candidates. I am glad that I didn’t have to vote because I wouldn’t have been able to choose between them. We will find out the results next week. In the meantime the papers are being stored in sealed boxes in my room!

There will be a PTA Meeting at 09.00 am. next Thursday (2nd February). We will be very happy to see you if you can attend. I would also like to give you a date to put in your diary. The PTA are organising an evening at The Winery on Place Brugmann on Thursday 16th February. They will be sending out more information very soon.

Finally for today, the International day Group would like to thank those of you that have volunteered to help by running an activity on Thursday 9th February. If you haven’t already volunteered there is still time to do so.

More on what is happening in all of the classes next week.

Have a good weekend.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett