Site news

World Book Day, PTA Meeting and what’s been happening in our classrooms this week.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
World Book Day, PTA Meeting and what’s been happening in our classrooms this week.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 2 March 2012, 5:50 PM

The children all thoroughly enjoyed World Book Day yesterday. There were some amazing characters in our school for the day alongside Wally and a bunch of Wally lookalikes. Lots of book-based activities took place and plenty of reading too. I am sure you would like to join me in thanking the group of teachers that organised the day and to everybody else for taking part and making it another great BEPS experience. Photographs will follow very soon. If you haven’t yet found Wally on the screen in the Entrance Hall, please come and have a look.

The PTA will be having a Summer Fair meeting on Thursday (8th March) at 9.00am. Plans for the event are starting to take shape but to ensure that everything runs smoothly s we will need as much support as possible. Please join us if you can, we will be very happy to see you.

There will also be a Book Fair on Thursday. Each class will visit the Book Fair during the day with their teacher and so they might want to bring some money to spend. It will also be open at the beginning and end of school but you are welcome to drop by during the day to take a look at the books too. As usual we will benefit if you buy books, as we will receive 10% of the money spent to purchase books for the library.

World Book Day was only one day of the week many other things have been taking place too.

Bear’s Cave have been talking about wild animals and bears and snakes in particular. They used the story ‘We are Going on a Bear Hunt’ for their book day focus, which linked perfectly. They made bear masks and a long snake and have enjoyed playing with the zoo animals.

Now I understand why the weather has improved and the first signs of spring are showing. Lion’s Den are talking about spring and the creatures they may find in their gardens. They have made ladybirds and butterflies so lets hope we will soon see these in our gardens as well as in their classroom. ‘The Rainbow Fish’ and ‘The Gruffalo’ were the stories that they listened to and talked about on World Book Day.

If you are passing Class 1 you will not be able to miss the enormous turnip that is hanging there. They made this fantastic turnip out of papier-mâché as they used the story ‘The Enormous Turnip’ for their Book Day focus. They have found out about vegetable that grow under the ground and have investigated and tasted these. They made a huge pot of turnip soup and managed to eat it all! The letters of the week were ‘m’ and ‘d’ and in Numeracy they have been investigating patterns.

Class 2 had an exciting end to their Unit of Work. They ran a Senses workshop for their parents on Tuesday afternoon. I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with them and was very impressed with what they had learnt and the activities that they set up for their parents. They designed the activities themselves and they certainly weren’t easy, but showed how important each of our five senses is. On World Book Day 2M were reading the book ‘The Smartest Giant in Town’ whilst 2B read ‘Charlie Cook’s Favourite Book’. In Numeracy they have been describing position and have a clever way of remembering which is left and right, you should ask them about it.

Class 3 are working towards the exciting end of their unit on buildings. Next Friday they will be having their Buildings Exhibition and so have started to plan for this. This has included finding out about different countries and climates. They will have a very busy week next week and so will need plenty of rest over the weekend! ‘The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch’ gave them plenty of fun on World Book Day and they particularly enjoyed making sandwiches for their snacks. I am not sure that I would have enjoyed mustard sandwiches though! In Numeracy they have been looking at odd and even numbers.

Class 4 came to school dressed as characters from ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ on World Book day as they have been reading this book as part of their Unit of Work and so were focussing on it on Thursday. Mrs. Higueras showed them how to make Peruvian hot chocolate. Apparently it tasted very good, so good in fact that it all vanished! They used their creative writing skills to describe the chocolate room, which they would add to the chocolate factory and even managed to watch the DVD of the book. In Numeracy they have been working with measurement comparing and using centimetres and metres and grams and kilograms.

Today Class 5 had an exceptionally busy day. This morning they went on a trip to Technopolis and this afternoon they shared their learning with us in assembly. They have been learning about health and fitness and demonstrated this to us through a rap, a play and a very active song. It was all very impressive. During the week they have reflected on their eating habits and been planning a weeks worth of nutritionally balanced hot lunches. In Numeracy they have been working with negative numbers. On World Book Day they came dressed as characters from their favourite book and had time to read and enjoy books.

Classes 6 & 7 have both turned into poets this week. Both 6J & 7H have been learning about, looking at syllables, rhythm and rhyming couplets in a range of different poems. They have spent time reading and enjoying poetry and are even going to be learning some by heart. I know that they will also be creating their own poems and will look forward to them sharing them with us.

In Numeracy 6J have been reviewing the names and properties of 2D shapes. In their Unit of Work on forces and energy they have started to look at the major sources of both renewable and non-renewable energy. On World Book Day they shared their favourite books and stories and I am sure they are now keen to read some of the books they heard about and haven’t yet explored.

7H also spent time on World Book Day reflecting on and sharing their favourite books. They rewrote the blurb for these and I am sure that they are far better than the originals. In Numeracy they worked with area and perimeter particularly in relation to triangles.

As you can see everybody has been working hard and enjoying themselves. Next week we have World Maths Day to look forward to. You will have received information about this in your child’s Blue Bag this evening. At the moment there always seems to be something to look forward to.

I hope that you all enjoy the weekend.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett