Site news

Another successful cake sale and a new idea.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Another successful cake sale and a new idea.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 27 April 2012, 5:42 PM

Thank you to everybody that made sure the Class 6 Cake Sale was a great success. Once again you baked and spent with great generosity, which resulted in a total of 240€ being raised. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the cupcake decorating it was truly amazing.

Although there is only one more official class Cake Sale left before the end of the school year Bora’s Mum (Bige Kaleagasi) has kindly offered to give you the opportunity to buy some cakes on other occasions too.

At our Cake Sales we ask people to limit the number of cupcakes they buy to allow as many children as possible to buy them. However, yesterday many people were keen to buy more than one or two cupcakes and so Bige has volunteered to bake and sell some cupcakes after school next Friday (4th May). The money that is made from this will go towards the PTA Summer Fair funds. The cakes will be available on a first come first served basis and so you will need to be on time to take advantage of this opportunity. I would like to thank her for offering to do this and am sure that you will support her too.

I would just like to give you a very quick update on what has been happening in the classrooms this week.

In Bear’s Cave have been looking at flowers and learning what the different parts of them are called.

In their Science Unit of Work Lion’s Den have been learning the differences between things that float and sink and things that are hard and soft. They have also been freezing things.

Nicky Miller took his bicycle into Class 1 to show them all the different parts and tell them how they work. They were excited to have him in their class and learnt lots from him. Thank you and well done Nicky. They have also been talking about being safe on your bicycle.

Class 2 have also been thinking about keeping safe, and in particular keeping safe on your holiday. They were keen to tell me not to wear flip-flops if I was going on a trekking holiday as I could easily fall. I know they plenty of other advice to offer, so please ask them.

Class 3 have been finishing their Story Unit of Work this week and have been writing and acting out stories. They have been listening to each other’s stories and suggesting ways of developing their ideas to make them even better.

This week Class 4 finished their magazines and presented them to their friends. This meant that they had to be able to speak loudly and clearly and in an interesting and structured way. Then they had to be ready to answer questions.

Whilst Class 4 have been finishing their magazines the Class 5 children have been starting one. They will be writing a dinosaur magazine and have been given a list of features that it must include.

Class 6 started a new Unit of Work this week all about oil. On Monday they experienced an oil spill and were investigating how to clean up after it. They have also been thinking about where our energy comes from and if it is renewable or not.

Meanwhile Class 7 move closer towards their Exhibition and have been focusing on their gathering grids and using different sources to find answers to their questions. Most of them have almost finished this task and are now working on their Power Point Presentation and creative writing. Whenever I look into their room they are always very busy indeed.

Next week is a very short one, but please try and join us for the PTA Meeting on Thursday (3rd May) at 15.45. The Summer Fair is getting closer and there are still plenty of things that need to be achieved to ensure its success.

I hope that you all enjoy the short break.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett