Site news

Summer Fair and Units of Work

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Summer Fair and Units of Work
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 11 May 2012, 5:43 PM

The final Class Cake sale of the year followed in the successful steps of all the others. As a result of your kindness and generosity Class 7 raised a total of 237€. Thank you for the fantastic support that you gave this and all the other Cake Sales during the year. Without your continued support they would not be possible.

I hope that you have got the date for the Summer Fair in your diaries because it is approaching quickly. In case you haven’t it is on Saturday 2nd June.

Thank you to those of you that have already volunteered to help if you haven’t yet done so, please do. Unfortunately two volunteers have forgotten to include their names on their reply slips so please let us know if you think it could be you.

If you wish to contribute food items for the International Buffet at the Summer Fair please contact Jane Torrisi by e-mail at torrisijane@hotmail.com it is always a very popular stall and so all donations are very welcome. Thank you in advance.

Your child(ren) may have told you that some of the Raffle Prizes are now on display in the Entrance Hall. To give you the opportunity to win one of these you will need to buy your right to draw at the Summer Fair. Please send your money and the form into school as soon as possible. If you need another form, please ask Jenny-Ruth for one.

Today you will have received a letter telling you about the exciting chance to create a BEPS truffle. Next year BEPS will be celebrating its 40th Anniversary and one of the ways that we will be celebrating this is with the introduction of a BEPS truffle. Over the weekend you are going to need to get creative, and think if BEPS were a truffle, what type of truffle would it be!

Complete and return the form on Monday to enter this incredible competition and win the chance to taste your creation. We hope that as many of you as possible will enter as the more entries we have the more fun choosing the winner will be.

One last thing before we take a very quick look at what Classes have been up to linked to their Units of Work recently.

Please can I remind you not to send birthday party invitations into school unless you are inviting everybody from the class? It is very upsetting for children that are not invited. We understand that not all children can be invited but if this is the case please help us by sending invitations through the post or by e-mail. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding.

Units of Work are all well underway now. In Bear’s Cave they have been thinking about their Mums in readiness for Mother’s Day on Sunday. They have made special things for them and have been talking about them all week.

You may have noticed the Lion’s Den vegetable garden as you have walked along the path to the playground. Please ask them what they have planted; I know they will be very keen to tell you. They have been talking about gardens and are now extending that to farms. All of the Pre-school children are going to visit a farm on Monday. I am sure they are going to have great fun.

In Class 1s Unit all about Transport they have been using different vehicles to make tracks on their moon sand tray roads. They have also listened to the story Mr Gumpy’s Motor Car and talking about their own memorable car journeys.

When you go on holiday it is always good to be able to say hello to people in the language of the country you are in. Class 2 have been getting ready to be able to do this by collecting together as many different ways of saying hello as they can. I am sure they would like to learn some more if you know any.

Class 3 have been thinking about the differences between living and non-living things, as their Unit is all about flowers and insects. They started their Unit by drawing pictures of gardens so they can show people what they would expect to find in them.

If you are looking for treasure then Class 4 is the place to go. They have brought in treasure and explained why it is treasure to them. They have made mind maps to show what they already know about treasure and what they would like to know.

Class 5 have been finding out how paleontologists have helped us learn about dinosaurs. They have been looking at fossils and how they are formed. They are also continuing to work on their dinosaur magazines.

On Tuesday Class 6 went to visit the Natural History Museum to find out about rocks and minerals. They obviously learnt a lot as when I spent some time with them on Wednesday morning they were very knowledgeable.

Class 7 are continuing to work on their Exhibition. They are over half way through the process and making great progress.

Finally everybody enjoyed their time with Courtney Campbell on Monday. She entertained all of the children in the school and was very happy to have been here. She sent me a lovely e-mail to say thank you for inviting her and telling us how she enjoyed her visit saying, “The students were a joy. So alive and engaged.” It is always great to have positive feedback about our children.

I would like to say thank you again to the PTA for funding this event for us.

It is Mother’s Day on Sunday so I hope all of you are treated especially well and able to have a well-deserved rest.

See you on Monday for another very short week, as school will be closed on Thursday and Friday.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett