Site news

It is hard to believe that next week is the last week of the school year.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
It is hard to believe that next week is the last week of the school year.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 22 June 2012, 5:24 PM

You should have received your child’s Annual Report today. Now that they have been sent home it is starting to feel as though the end of the year is definitely in sight. I hope that you will find the information in the reports useful. The teachers spend lots of time and thought in preparing these and I hope that you feel it reflects your child and their learning. If you have any questions about the reports, please talk to your child’s teacher or to me. I would like to thank the teachers for their work and for the professional results they have achieved.

The Class 5 children have returned safely and brought their teachers back with them, which is always a good thing. I know that you will join with me in thanking Ms. Hope & Ms. Guille for all the dedication and care that they gave your children during the week. I am sure that everybody will be sleeping well tonight.

On Tuesday it will be BEPS Olympics. You should have received a letter about this, explaining that your child(ren) will need to wear sports clothes and shoes. Teachers will be informing you about the colour of the T-shirt that they will need to wear, as it will be their house colour. We have not ordered any hot lunches for that day and so everybody will need to bring packed lunches (Including Pre-school).
Please come and join us for the fun if you can. The children will also need their snack, sun hat and sun cream and plenty of water to drink. We are hoping for a lovely sunny day!

On Friday, the last day of term we will be holding our End of Year Assembly. This will be the time to say Goodbye to the people that will be leaving BEPS. It will start at 11:30 am, and if the weather is good will be in the garden. Once again, please join us if you can. School will then end at 12.30. The PTA would like to invite you to join them for a picnic in the garden following this. Please remember to bring a blanket to sit on and your picnic!

Although the year is nearly over the children have still been very busy this week.

Pre-school will be there for the BEPS Olympic Opening Ceremony but they will also be having their own Sports Morning on Wednesday (27th June). It will be held in the playground from 10.30 am. All parents are welcome.

This week Bear’s Cave have been talking about summer, and that must be why we have seen the sun on some occasions this week. They made ice-cream cones out of play dough and a summer hat during their art and craft activities. They have also been in training for their sports morning.

In Lion’s Den they have moved on from talking about pirates that travel on the sea to finding out about what goes on under the sea. There have been lots of art and craft activities and they have even made their own magnetic fishing games. They are great fun and you will be able to see a photograph of one on their page on the website. There are also some pretty ferocious looking underwater animals on the display as you go up the stairs. I am sure that you will have also seen how well the vegetables in their vegetable garden are growing. All the rain that we’ve had has certainly helped them. I am looking forward to harvesting time.

Class 1 had a great trip to the zoo last week and have been spending time since then talking about and finding out about the animals that they saw. There have been lots of animal art and craft activities taking place too. They have also been writing in their journals and revisiting the numbers and letters they have learnt this year.

In Class 2 they have been finding out about the Ancient and Modern Olympics and comparing the similarities and differences. They have also been preparing for the Class 2 Olympics and the BEPS Olympic Opening Ceremony, which they will be leading. In Numeracy and Literacy they have been reviewing and tying up lose ends!

Class 3 have been using non-fiction texts to find about different insects. They have been using the glossary and contents page to help them write information for a book. They have also designed an imaginary insect, but have followed authentic body part criteria. This afternoon they started to make models of these insects. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the finished items. In Numeracy they have been talking about division as grouping and multiplication as repeated addition.

Class 4 have been finishing the stories that they have been writing about treasure islands. They have read their stories aloud and been evaluating each other’s. They have also been drawing their treasure artefacts and designing their own treasure. In Numeracy they have been revising multiplication and division.

Class 6’s last Unit of Work is all about the Power of Water, which is possibly one reason for the amount of heavy rain we have been having! The theme of this unit is water, and how the power of water can harm, cure and move things. They have also been evaluating their year in Class 6.

The Class 7 Unit of Work on Feelings is very appropriate. There is certainly a whole range of different feelings in their classroom at the moment. Leaving BEPS is now getting very close for them and whilst they are looking forward to the future it is also hard to believe that it is actually going to happen. They were on a trip today and enjoyed their visit to the Folon Foundation. I would like to thank Adrian and Marcel’s Mum for accompanying them.

If you haven't yet returned your Garderie and Fun Club forms please do so as soon as possible, because places are limited.

By this time next week the holidays will have started so let’s hope that the summer will have arrived too.

I look forward to seeing you all next week, for a week full of excitement. Please join us whenever you can.

Enjoy the weekend.

Mandy Porrett