Site news

Plans for the Halloween/Firework party are underway.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Plans for the Halloween/Firework party are underway.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 5 October 2012, 5:44 PM

The week started with a PTA meeting to decide if the Halloween/Firework party could run this year or not. Thanks to the commitment from members of the PTA and the other people in our community we have decided that the party will still run. Please support us by volunteering to help in whatever way you can.

The week continued by being as busy as usual. I was lucky enough to be working with Class 4D as unfortunately their teacher Ms. De Weerdt has been unwell. It is always good to be back in the classroom and so I have had a very enjoyable if not somewhat chaotic time!

Teachers have been changing the displays in the main areas of the school and so I hope that you will find the time to come in and look at them all. They reflect the learning that has been taking place in the classroom and I am sure your child(ren) will be more than happy to give you a guided tour.

Bear’s Cave have been for a walk in the woods this week as they are talking about autumn. They have some lovely trees on the display boards and I hear that there are more to come.

Lion’s Den (Downstairs) have been trying hard to remember the names of animals that live in the forest. They had great fun making a hedgehog from pears, pretzels and chocolate. They were also continuing to work on patterns, matching and making groups of two.

Lion’s Den (Upstairs) decorated owls with feathers, sequins and eyes they made by ‘pricking’ out circles from paper. They made hedgehogs too, this time out of kiwi fruit and pretzels. They have been making patterns using apples and pears.

Class 1 have been retelling narratives in the correct sequence. They cut out four pictures from a train ride story and had to stick them in the correct order, deciding what happened first, next and last. They also listened to the story “The Biggest Pumpkin Ever” by Steven Kroll and drew the part of the story they enjoyed the most. When they visited the library they chose a book linked either to autumn or to their unit of Work to take home and share.

If you come and see the portraits belonging to Class 2 (in the entrance hall) you will be able to see that they have been looking at their faces really closely and have used lots of different materials and processes to create pictures of them. They can also name all of their facial features.
In Literacy they have been taking part in classroom discussion by posing the question, “What can you do?” They have been practicing writing the letters p and n. They are reading the high frequency words can, in and I and blending and segmenting the letters that they have learnt so far.
In Numeracy they have been looking at the names of common 2D shapes and saying a number that is one more than a given number.

Class 3 had a fantastic trip to the circus yesterday. They had plenty of opportunity to try different circus skills, were able to watch some circus acts and had time to play on a wonderful playground too. Ask them about it, they will be very happy to share their experiences with you.
In Literacy they have been finding ways to make the ‘o’ sound, using ‘o’, ‘ow’, ‘oa’ and ‘o_e’ and in Numeracy they have been portioning a two digit number into Tens and Units.

Class 4 have been planning and designing fantastic new chocolate bars. There are so many different delicious ones that they makes my mouth water just thinking about them! Now they want you to see if you would like them and so they have made posters to advertise them and will be putting these up on display boards near their classrooms. In Numeracy they have been adding and subtracting 100 from numbers and in Literacy looking at persuasive language to help them with their posters and making the long ‘o’ sound using magic e.

Class 5 have been working with hot and cold colours and using different techniques in the style of Piet Mondrian to produce representations of the Active planet. They have been distinguishing between the spelling and meaning of common homophones in Literacy and reflecting and setting goals. In Numeracy they are seeing how division is an inverse of multiplication.

Class 6 have been working in groups to research myths and legends from famous past civilizations. They will present their findings on a poster with time lines and pictures. In addition some have been researching a mythical creature and finding examples of them in modern stories. This has all linked well with their Literacy, where they have been learning how to scan texts, take notes and organise the information under subheadings. In Numeracy they have been working with odd and even numbers and making sure they know all the multiplication facts up to 10x10 by heart.

Class 7 have been designing a moon chart, which will enable them to record the phases of the moon throughout the month. They needed to develop a good understanding of the moon’s surface to enable them to do this. They have learnt about and created their own nebula through art, and these are on one of their displays. In Literacy they were spelling words with the prefixes aero, aqua and audi and researching and drafting texts for their class planet book. In Numeracy they have also been working with odd and even numbers and rounding decimals to the nearest whole number or tenth.

The BEPS choir, which runs on Thursday lunchtime for Upper School children is proving to be a great success. It has over 30 members from across the Upper School classes and Ms. Ford is very impressed with them. It there are other children that are interested in joining it isn't too late, go along next Thursday, Ms. Ford will be very happy to see you.

After the partying of last week there is still plenty of fun in the air and I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we will have a pumpkin carving competition again this year. We will be sending out details of this next week, but I would like to give you the opportunity to start planning your designs now.

The Halloween/Firework party will also have a fancy dress competition. There will be prizes for the best dressed boy and girl in Pre-school, Lower School and Upper School, the best adult (male and female), the best teacher and the best family. Start planning your costumes now, as competition is always fierce!

You should have received your appointment time for your child’s Parent/Teacher Consultation today. Please let us know if you will be able to make this appointment or talk to your child’s teacher if you need to alter it.

The weekend is now here and I am sure that we are all ready for some relaxation. I hope that there is some time without rain because Team BEPS are meant to be training for the run next week, I have to admit running in the rain isn’t my idea of fun so I hope the sun shines for a short while at least.

Enjoy your weekend and see you next week.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett