Site news

Only a week until the Halloween/Firework party

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Only a week until the Halloween/Firework party
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 12 October 2012, 5:55 PM

This time next week we will be in full preparation for the party. If you haven’t bought your tickets yet you need to be quick because numbers are limited and there are not too many left.

This year the party will be slightly different as most things (except for the Spook Room) will be outside. The Garden Room (the old Class 7) will also have some games in. There will be plenty of tents erected and so you will be able to keep dry even if it rains.

The school is looking great at the moment. All of the new class displays are now completed and so I would like to invite you to come in and see what the classes are currently learning about in their Units of Work. Please ask your child(ren) to share their learning with you, if they haven’t already done so.

This week in Numeracy lots of areas have been investigated and much knowledge developed. Class 7 have been looking at divisibility of numbers and also factors. Class 6 have been working out number sequences and number patterns. In Class 5 they will be able to help you find your way around as they are working with co ordinates and locating positions using North, South, East and West. Class 4 have been adding groups of numbers using the trick of finding pairs that total 9 or 11. Class 3 were partitioning numbers into Tens and Units, Class 2 were counting to 20 and beyond and in Class 1 they were looking at ordinal numbers in different contexts. You certainly see all the different ways that numeracy is used when you see what the children are learning.

This week I am going to ask you to ask your child(ren) to talk with you about what they have been learning in Literacy. Here are some reminders if they need them!

Class 7 – Space Book

Class 6 – Editing

Class 5 – Powerful verbs

Class 4 – Nouns and jingles

Class 3 – The long o sound

Class 2 – Sequencing stories

Class 1 – Sequencing and acting stories

Pre-school have also been very busy and I know that their teachers have been telling their parents what they have been doing, but for those of you that don’t know, Lion’s Den have been talking about animals that live in the wood and have made pictures using leaves they collected on a walk in the woods. They have also been listening to the sound that their names begin with.

In Bear’s Cave they have been talking about autumn, singing an autumn song and painting with sticks they found in the wood.

I know that there will be lots happening again next week and excitement for the Halloween/Firework party will be growing.

As you already know Parent/Teacher consultations take place next Tuesday (16th October). If something happens on that day and you are unable to keep your appointment, please let us know. Thank you.

Please can I take this opportunity to remind you that dogs should not be brought into the playground at the end of the school day.

I would also like to ask for your support in reminding your children that our school playground rules should be adhered to whenever they are in the playground (a copy of these will be on the notice board in the playground). We have these for their safety and they need to follow them after school when they are using the playground or if they are in Garderie. Children that are not in Garderie, but that are using the playground, are welcome but we ask that the adults that are with them supervise them carefully. The Garderie staff cannot be held responsible for children that are not signed into Garderie. Thank you for your understanding and support with this.

Tomorrow Team BEPS will be running in the Roi Baudouin Stadium and the surrounding area, and would appreciate any support you can offer. Please think of us, especially if the weather is miserable. We won’t be miserable though and will be trying our best and having fun too.

I will see you all on Monday ready for the countdown to Halloween/Firework fun. Enjoy your weekend.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett