Site news

No school on Monday!

Picture of Mandy Porrett
No school on Monday!
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 9 November 2012, 6:58 PM

The half term holiday is now a distant memory and we are focussing on the next half term and all it has to offer.

I am happy to be able to inform you that we have recruited a teacher to work with 4D until Ms. De Weerdt returns in January. Mr. Crebbin is an experienced teacher from Australia and will join BEPS on Tuesday. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with 4D but it will be good to be able to catch up with everything else that needs to happen around the school. I would like to thank you for your patience and support whilst we have been looking for the right person to work with 4D. I am sure you join with me in welcoming Mr. Crebbin to our community.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the parents that have been in school helping check the children for head lice this morning. Recently we have had a large increase in the number of cases and hope that by checking the children we can reduce them spreading. These ladies have fulfilled this role in their children’s previous schools and volunteered to support us in trying to reduce head lice at BEPS. You can support us further by checking your child(ren) at home and by using the appropriate treatment. It is a very common problem in all schools and we would appreciate it if your child has had head lice if you can inform us. Thank you for your support in this matter. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Lots of classes have started new Units of Work this week and the children are already very involved in them.

Bear’s Cave will be talking about colours for the next few weeks, and this week have concentrated on the colour red. You might have wondered why so many of them were wearing red on Wednesday, and now you know! Watch out to see which colour they will be talking about next week.

The children in Lion’s Den have been learning all about the opposites - big and small, hot and cold and black and white (day and night). They listened to and enjoyed role-playing the story of Goldilocks using different props. They also tasted a hot and a cold chocolate drink.

This week Class 1 have been making ‘lovely leaves’ by sponge painting and sticking on eyes, a nose and a mouth. This has involved lots of autumn vocabulary too. They also made mushrooms with spots on to help them with their counting. These will be displayed in their classroom. Their next Unit of Work will be all about their family.

Class 2 had an exciting week. On Monday they came back to school to find that their classroom had become a toymakers workshop and that they needed to use a box of ’junk materials’ to make a toy. On Thursday they had a fantastic trip to the Toy Museum, and so I bet you can guess what their new Unit of Work is all about!

There are lots of precious items in Class 3 at the moment. The children have all become archaeologists and are busily finding out how scientists and historians find out about the past. They have been excavating trays of sand to find artefacts, using brushes to clean them and magnifying glasses to study them. Their Unit on Time Detectives certainly looks like great fun.

Class 4 were finishing their Unit on chocolate this week, and concluded it this afternoon by presenting their learning to the rest of Upper School in assembly. This was their first experience of presenting in front of their Upper School peers and they should be very proud of themselves, Ms. Jans and I were. They are now very keen to start their new Unit of Work next week, which I believe is going to be a rather wet one.

The children in Class 5 have been finding out about the differences in trading between the past and the present for their Unit on Money and Trade. They interviewed their parents and grandparents to establish how the way to pay for things has changed over time. The mind maps they made show that they are keen to learn lots again this half term.

The entry point for 6J’s new Unit was to research people’s impressions of Belgium. They conducted interviews and presented their findings to the rest of the class. When I went into their room I saw a snippet of a very entertaining play. I hope that they will be able to share these with us if time allows.

Finally 7H completed their Unit on Space Exploration by creating scaled Solar Systems, which you can see hanging in their classroom. Then they started the their new Unit by designing a World Calendar. I am sure we are going to find out more about this in the weeks to come. They were also auditioning for their roles in the Winter Concert, and will probably be learning their lines as I am typing this. It is going to be another great production if the auditions are anything to go by.

As you can see there is going to be plenty of learning happening before we break up for the winter holiday, so be prepared!

Please remember that school is closed on Monday (12th November) but everything will be back to normal on Tuesday.

Enjoy the long weekend.

Best Wishes,

Mandy Porrett