Site news

The penultimate week of term

Picture of Mandy Porrett
The penultimate week of term
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 14 December 2012, 6:05 PM

I can’t believe that a whole week has passed since we had our snowy day; it only seems like a couple of days ago. However, the fact that we will be on holiday this time next week is even harder to believe.

We started to get in the holiday mood this afternoon and had a lovely festive sing along assembly. Ms. Ford organised the event and the choir led the singing. Everybody had great fun and it has certainly ended the week on a very happy note.

Classes had a busy week with Winter Fair preparation alongside the usual learning. Here is a very quick update on how things are progressing.

Class 7 are continuing to collect weather date from their weather station on the terrace and have been looking at different kinds of maps.

I was very interested to see why the children from 6J coming into school with their teddy bears, but established that they were using these to create cubist paintings. If their impressionist paintings are anything to go by I am sure the results will be brilliant.

I am sure that nearly everybody in BEPS visited the 5H snack shop one day this week. I certainly did, and have managed to eat more unhealthy snacks than I usually do. However, they were all very tasty! They have repaid their loan to Mr. Sorensen and have made some profit, but I will let them tell you how much that was.

Class 4 have been learning about the charity called Water Aid and have designed posters to encourage people to support it. I was also very lucky to have a number of children coming to share their creative writing with me. They have written some fantastic poems and I am looking forward to seeing more next week.

Class 3 have been observing the changes in the science experiment they set up last week, and recording these. They are checking to see if the predictions they made were correct.

The toymakers in Class 2 are hard at work again. They have been planning and making their own toys this week and will be ready to show them to their parents in their Toy Exhibition next Tuesday afternoon. I know that it’s going to be a great exhibition and am looking forward to attending it.

Please read the message below from Ms. Birch about the glittery tea lights and glass candleholders that 2B made and sold at the Winter Fair.

‘Although tests were carried out with the candles before they were decorated, there has been some problem with the way the tea light candles burn in the glass pots. If you decide to light them, then please be careful. Thank you.’

As well as looking at the letter/sound ‘a’, Class 1 have been talking about how many people live in their house, and where other members of their family, like their grandparents live.

The children in Lion’s Den enjoyed making decorations to sell at the Winter Fair but especially enjoyed making gingerbread men. They were very happy to find that their gingerbread man didn’t run away like he does in the story.

In Bear’s Cave the children enjoyed hanging a decoration on their Christmas tree earlier this week. They also had great fun making biscuits to sell at the Winter Fair and stars to decorate their classroom.

Next week is a shorter week than usual as we finish at 12.30 on Thursday however, I am sure that lots of things will be happening before then.

A GSM was found in the playground at the end of school today. If you have lost one and think it may be yours you can collect it from me on Monday.

Have a relaxing weekend.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett