Site news

As always the first week of term has sped by.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
As always the first week of term has sped by.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 11 January 2013, 6:52 PM

Welcome back, and if I haven’t managed to wish it to you in person I would like to wish you a Happy New Year!

I hope that you had a great winter break and that you enjoyed the festivities. The children certainly seemed to have had a great time and have been sharing their adventures with us all.

Several new families joined us this week, and I hope that they will feel a part of our community very quickly. I am sure that you would all like to join with me in welcoming them, and our three new members of staff - Ms. Wilkins (Class 6), Ms. Lazaruk (Class 7) and Ruth Wilkinson (EAL) who also joined us on Monday. Our new teachers appear to have settled into life at BEPS very quickly, and I know that the children they are working with are very keen to get to know them and to show them what they are capable of achieving. I know that we are all looking forward to another successful term and that there will plenty of fun and learning ahead.

I don’t know if you have noticed but, babies are really in the air at BEPS at the moment!

You will have been very happy to see that Ms. De Weerdt has returned after being absent for some time, and you may have noticed the reason why she was away! She will be back with us until the middle of March when she will start her maternity leave before the birth of her second child.

You may also have noticed that Ms. Hamelin (Class 1) has not been with us this week. This is because she is also expecting a baby! In accordance with Belgian law she had to leave work immediately, this is as she works with children under the age of 5. We are in the process of finding a replacement for her, but in the meantime Oonagh Reid is working in Class 1 in her place.

I am sure that you will also be very happy to hear that Kelly Temmerman (EAL) gave birth to her baby last Friday. She and Eliot are both doing well, and we will be looking forward to meeting him as soon as possible.

I am sure that you will join with me in congratulating each of these staff members and their partners and in wishing them all the best!

I have been lucky enough to be working with Class 4D this week and will continue doing so next week. After that, Ms. Stone (who taught in BEPS s few years ago) will become their class teacher. She will join them on Monday 21st January for the remainder of the school year. We will very happy to welcome her back to our team.

As you can see we have had plenty of excitement and change recently, but now we can settle down again and concentrate on moving forwards. I know that these changes will all prove to be very positive and we will continue to strengthen and flourish as a result.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to remind your child(ren) that they should not bring toys, games or other expensive items into school. These items should always be left at home because they can be lost, damaged or are likely to cause arguments if brought into school.

I would also like to ask you not to bring dogs onto the school premises. Please leave them either outside the front or back of school. If you tie them onto the fence, please make sure that they are well away from the gate. There are children and adults in our community that are frightened of dogs, and we are therefore asking you to help us keep BEPS a dog free environment. Thank you for your support in this matter.

I know that there has been lots of learning taking place this week. Some classes have started new Units of Work and others are putting the finishing touches to theirs. Next Friday I will fill you in on what has been happening, but in the meantime I am sure that your child(ren) will be more than happy to do so.

Although the week has gone so quickly the holiday now seems a distant memory. I am sure that we are all ready for a restful weekend, and the chance to have a lie in again to prepare us for the week ahead. It seems as though snow is forecast once again, so there is always something to look forward to!

See you all again on Monday.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett