Site news

The Exhibition, International Day and Summer Fair Meeting

Picture of Mandy Porrett
The Exhibition, International Day and Summer Fair Meeting
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 17 May 2013, 6:19 PM

It has been a particularly busy and exciting week for Class 7, and as a result you may have seen some very proud but rather tired looking members of the class in school today. This was as last night they presented their Exhibition learning to their families and friends. They deserve to feel proud of themselves as whilst the Exhibition process is fun, it is also demanding and involves lots of hard work. You can see the final product on the display boards in the entrance hall and on the landing. This is the ‘icing on the cake’ so please take the time to stop and read their work, and to ask them questions or to give you explanations, I know that they will be very happy to share their learning with you.

Today they shared their learning with Classes 2 – 6 and it was lovely to see the younger children engrossed with, and in awe of the older ones. If you have a child in one of these classes you might like to ask them what they learnt. I am sure that you would like to join with me in congratulating the Class 7 on their success.

The Class 6 Unit of Work is linked to chronology and they have been looking at and creating timelines, both for their own lives and for the past 100 years. They also looked at a timeline for prehistoric man. This has been reflected in their Literacy where they have been reading and acting a play script “Jurassic Classroom”. I wondered why there were strange noises coming from their classroom and was told it had something to do with dinosaurs and head teachers! You will have to ask them what was really going on, but they were certainly enjoying it. In Numeracy they have been working with multiplication including long multiplication.

Class 5 have been sharing their dinosaur magazines with Classes 3 and 4 this week. They have promised that they will give them to me to read too, as I have heard that there are some great stories and facts in them. I am looking forward to seeing them very soon. They have also started a new Unit of Work on Visual Representation. They brainstormed all the different ways you can represent and investigate the world and came up with ideas such as paintings, photography, sculptures, aerial photography and drawing. They presented their ideas and opinions through talking, in pairs and groups. In Literacy they have been looking at words beginning with w and wh, and trying to understand the meanings of the words, which are spelt differently but with the same sound. In Numeracy they are looking at the difference between perimeter and area and how you calculate these

Class 4 are coming to the end of their Unit of Work on significant people and from what I hear there are going to be some very significant people in BEPS next week, so watch out, and don’t be surprised if you see Gandhi, Christopher Columbus or Anne Frank in Class 4. They have been putting the finishing touches to their magazines by designing front covers and creating a fun page for the back of it too. This means that there will be even more great reading material in BEPS. I am sure they will be happy to share it with you. In Literacy they have been revising what nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are and I am sure they have been making sure their writing reflects this understanding. In Numeracy they have been starting to use column addition for 2 and 3 digit numbers. As this involves carrying it can be complicated at first.

Class 3’s Unit is all about Flowers and Insects and on Monday they were lucky enough to visit the Botanical Gardens. There are some fantastic photographs from the trip on the screen in the entrance hall and so please stop and have a look at them. Back in the classroom they discussed the basic conditions needed for plants and flowers to survive, and to find out, they set up their own experiments to grow cress. It was all very scientific as they planted seeds in different conditions. They then compared the results before drawing conclusions about the conditions needed for seeds to grow.

In Literacy the children have been exploring the spelling patterns for ‘or’, ‘aw’ and ‘al’ sounds in words. In Numeracy they have been working on adding two 2-digit numbers as well as subtracting a multiple of 10 from a 2-digit number by counting back in tens.

Class 2 were plunged into darkness this week for the Entry Point of their new Unit “Seeing The Light”, which got them thinking about what darkness is and the importance of light. The children also enjoyed exploring with the torches that they brought in, and lots of discoveries and questions have already been asked about light. They have been asked to carry on exploring at home and to find as many sources of light as they can.

In Numeracy learning to tell the time got their brains ticking. They enjoyed making their own clocks and discovered that a clock has a face and hands! They have been practicing using the clocks to read and show the time to the hour, as well as discussing and ordering daily events and matching some of them to o’clock times. In Literacy the children continued to practice their reading and writing skills.

Class 1 started their new unit this week, which is all about animals. They have been busy drawing and trying to think of as many wild animals as they can, as well as talking about what animals eat and where they live. In Literacy they enjoyed listening to the story ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ and in phonics they were introduced to the letter sounds ‘x’ and ‘y’. They have been busy counting lots of different animals in Numeracy and practiced the correct formation for the number 9.

Ahoy, me hearties - watch out there are pirates about! You’ll find them in Lion’s Den where they have started their new Unit this week about Pirates and Treasures. The children enjoyed making their own Treasure map as well as a Jolly Roger flag and pirate’s hat. They participated in pirate role-play and enjoyed playing with a big cardboard pirate ship and treasure chest.

It was a very hungry time in Bear’s Cave this week as they ‘ate’ their way through the book “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle. They made caterpillars by lacing green beads onto a piece of string as well as making some out of play dough. They also used their pricking skills to prick a hole in a strawberry so the hungry caterpillar can crawl through. In PE they enjoyed playing a caterpillar game and made movements related to the story.

Next week there will be even more excitement as on Thursday (23rd May) we will be celebrating International day at BEPS. You should have received a letter about how this day will run today. Please remember that there will not be any hot lunches on that day, but that your child(ren) should bring in a plate of food from your home country to share with the rest of their class. We will be very happy if you would like to come and join us for lunch, it will take place at 13.30 for everybody in the main building, but at 12.30 in Pre-school.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody that has already volunteered to come in and run an activity on Thursday, but also to invite anybody that hasn’t yet offered to run an activity that it isn’t too late to come and join the fun. It is always a fantastic day when we celebrate the rich range of cultures that are in our school.

Although at the moment it is hard to imagine that summer will ever arrive, our Summer Fair is getting closer. The PTA will be holding a meeting on Tuesday 28th May to discuss how the preparations for this are progressing. It will take place at 09.00 in my room, so please join us – many hands make light work! Thank you in advance for your support.

I think that is just about everything for this week. As you know Monday is another Bank Holiday and so there will not be any school, but we will be raring to go again on Tuesday.

Enjoy your long weekend.

Best Wishes,

Mandy Porrett