Site news

Thank you for supporting the Class 3 Cake Sale. A PTA Meeting. Information about some courses you may be interested in.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Thank you for supporting the Class 3 Cake Sale. A PTA Meeting. Information about some courses you may be interested in.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 24 January 2014, 6:42 PM

Thank you for supporting the Class 3 Cake Sale yesterday. Once again there were so many delicious looking cakes and cookies that making a choice was very difficult. With your support they raised a total of 258€, which I know they are going to use to help fund a visit to the Atomium next month. This visit is linked to their current Unit of Work that is all about buildings. Thank you for helping make this possible, I know that they really appreciate it.

You should have received a letter in your child’s Blue Bag today. This was to inform you about our forthcoming BEPS Book Day. We are hoping that the children will all come dressed as a book character on that day (Thursday 6th February) and so want them to have plenty of opportunity to prepare their costumes. On Book Day we will be finding out about the author of “The Gruffalo” Julia Donaldson and reading lots of her stories as well as sharing other books and book activities too. Please read the letter to find out more about the day.

If you have been into school this week you may have noticed that the display boards in the shared areas of the building were undergoing transformation. Please came in and take a look at them as they demonstrate the learning that is taking place across the school. I am sure that your child(ren) will be very happy and proud to share not only their work with you, abut that of the other classes too. I am sure you will join with me in thanking the teachers for all the hard work that they put into creating these displays.

You may remember that therapyBXL is an initiative set up by some ex BEPS parents, and that they run a number of courses throughout the year. They have asked me to inform you about their next venture:

Have you been living in Belgium for a while but feel as if you’ve lost momentum and are stuck here?

The Expat Refresher Course can chase away your winter blues!

A previous participant said the course was “very helpful and energising and it has already changed the way I think about some things. Your tips are practical and very relevant to being an expat and parent here. It's good to take some time to reflect and maybe think about some changes. It's also enlightening to spend time listening to others in the same position and realise some things are a product of a situation and quite common experiences or feelings."

The Expat Refresher Course is a series of six morning workshops, which aims to help seasoned expats who are suffering from Brussels fatigue to reflect on, re-evaluate & REBOOT their experience of life in Belgium.

The course will take place at the American Women’s Club of Brussels, Avenue des Erables 1, 1650 Rhode St Genèse, over a series of six Thursday mornings, 10h-12h30, and will run 6, 13 & 27 February; 13, 20 & 27 March 2014. The course costs €220 (€200 for AWCB members) and includes tea, coffee & home baking.

To find out more, or to reserve your place on either course, please email therapyBXL@gmail.com or visit www.therapyBXL.com.
There is also a flier with information about the course on the board outside Dominique’s office.

It must be the time of year for courses to run as I also received the following information and special offer from expat coach Louise Fly:

On Tuesday 11th February she will start a course developed especially for trailing spouses looking to rediscover themselves and create a passionate and meaningful expat life.

She says:

“I have experienced myself the challenges of being the accompanying part. I have seen through my work as an expat coach, how many of us feel as if we have lost our identity, when we no longer have a job title to identify ourselves with. I also know the uncomfortable, frustrating and often shameful feeling of not knowing what to put instead, when realising that being a mother and a housewife do not fill up the empty hole.
Therefore I have put together the PassionClub. A forum and a process that helps trailing spouses find their passion and rebuild their identity.  

For trailing spouses related to BEPS, I offer a special price of 1,297 euros instead of 1,397 euros for a process that includes:

8 downloadable audio sessions, one per week (except for WINTER and SPRING breaks)
8 work sheets with relevant and in-depth questions related to each audio session
5 Q & A webinars (online tele classes)
3 Q & A live meetings at The Library + networking and inspiration with relevant guest speakers
Access to a closed online forum for all PassionClub participants
A closed facebook group for on-going networking
A celebration ceremony at the end of the process
A follow up session, 4 weeks later
An experienced coach and former trailing spouse to guide you safely
In order to get the special price, you simply type in SCHOOL in the coupon code field when signing up.

For much more information, free inspiration or a free coaching session to determine whether the process is for you, please visit www.thepassionclub.be."

A PTA meeting, to which you are invited will be held on Tuesday (28th February). It will start at 13.35. Please attend it if you possibly can, as new participants are always welcome.

And finally, apparently the weather is due to get colder again next week, and so please ensure that your child(ren) have all the necessary cold weather items with them (hat, gloves and scarf) so that they will be prepared for a drop in the temperature if it should arrive. Thank you.

Now we are all ready forthe weekend to begin, but before we know it Monday morning will be here again, in the meantime relax and enjoy yourselves.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett