Site news

All the latest news.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
All the latest news.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 16 January 2009, 4:58 PM

The second week of the year has ended and the children have certainly been very busy.
The Classes that went to the gym on Monday really enjoyed their lesson with Ria, the PE teacher. After hearing about what they did Classes 2, 4, 6 and 7 are really looking forward to their lessons on Monday.

I always love the beginning of a new term, because it means new units of work, and the IPC Units always seem to start with some fun that leads into the learning.

For their “Unit What Price Progress?“ Class 7 have each chosen a product to study in closer detail. They are using this Unit as a way of preparing for their Exhibition, which will be upon them before they realise it.

Class 6 has been a hive of activity with the children designing and making models of theme park rides. Most of these look far too scary for me to contemplate trying out, although I am assured they are great fun. Next they will be trying to understand what makes them work.

Class 5 have been finding out what it must be like to experience an earthquake, and where they are most likely to happen. They have brought in lots of information from home to support their learning, which is a great reflection of their interest in the subject.

I am very pleased that Class 4 are learning about chocolate, especially as Sam appeared in my office this morning with a sample for me to taste! They have just been in again – this time to ask which of a selection of chocolate wrappers I prefer. There is also talk of the Aztecs!

Class 3 were out and about this morning with clipboards at the ready. They were sketching details of buildings in the local area. They have also been making structures using playing cards, which they have found out is not as easy as it looks.

Class 2 are very busy using their five senses and have been finding out what braille is, and what it is like to be blind. If you visit their website you can find a link to learn more about braille too.

There are lots of masks and fairytale items in Class 1 at the moment. I understand that the role-play area will soon be rather different too. Old shoe boxes are being transformed into castles fit for princesses and knights. There is lots of pretending going on.

Lion’s Den Have been talking about what to wear in the winter, and finding out about animals that live in cold places. They found a winter game to play on the computer too.

Bear’s Cave have been painting with raindrops and decorating the windows of their room with the results. Make sure you have a look when you are in the playground.

Following Jacqueline’s earlier posting regarding the use of the side door in the mornings, we have decided that if children are being dropped off at the front of the building they should use whichever door is the closest to them. This is to avoid children walking in front of cars that are driving in. Please continue to use the side entrance if you are coming through the playground. Please remember that school does start at 9:00 am, and that it is very helpful to both children and staff if the children are here before then. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.

Although the Class 1 parents were informed yesterday, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that due to personal and health reasons, Megina Baker has resigned from her position as Class 1 teacher.
Although this happened very suddenly we have been able to find a replacement teacher immediately.
We are pleased to inform you that Jessica Hamelin has now joined BEPS as a permanent member of staff. Jessica has been working as a supply teacher across the school, and we are very delighted to have her as a full time member of our team.
Jessica comes to us with excellent qualifications and practical experience. She has worked in Elementary schools in Canada, and has already demonstrated her skills and enthusiasm here at BEPS.
I am sure that you join with me in welcoming Jessica to the Class 1 team, and in wishing Megina well in the future.
We will continue to work together to ensure that your children receive the very best we can offer. If you have any questions regarding this please do not hesitate to ask.

I must apologise for a mistake in the list of dates I gave you last week. You may have been confused to see that the day and the date for World Book Day and our Book Fair didn’t correspond. It should have read THURSDAY 5th MARCH.

Please don’t forget that Class 3 have their PTA Cake Sale next Thursday 22nd January. As usual it will be in the playground at the end of school, and all cakes and cookies will cost 1 Euro. Any money raised will be given to Class 3 to spend as they choose. Thank you in advance for your support.

Have a fun weekend.

Mandy Porrett