Site news

Student Led Conferences, Egg Drop and other weekly news.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Student Led Conferences, Egg Drop and other weekly news.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 19 March 2010, 6:26 PM

As I am writing this there is a real buzz around the school. This afternoon it is Buddy Time, and the children eagerly look forward to this and enjoy working and learning with their buddies.

This week has been an extremely busy week, with everybody getting ready for our Student Led Conferences on Tuesday. The children are really excited at the prospect of celebrating their learning with you, and being able to show you what they do whilst they are at school. Teachers have been working closely with the children to select activities for you to share, and then preparing all the resources that will be needed for you to enjoy them.

Today your child should have received a letter about the famous BEPS Egg Drop. This will be taking place on Wednesday 31st March, but entries must be in school by 14.00 on Tuesday 30th March. This is fun activity and we hope that as many of you as possible will take part. Please remember that the children in Class 7 will be opening the containers after they have been dropped, so please try to ensure they can open them easily and safely. Thank you for your support in this.

There has been plenty of learning happening alongside Student Led Conference preparations. In Bear’s Cave they are learning how flowers are all different shapes and colours and how blossom and leaves grow on trees in the spring. I saw them planting some seeds earlier in the week and I am sure they are looking after them well. They have been making birdhouses too.

Lion’s Den have been talking about three of our emotions: happy, angry and sad. The children have been painting with their feet whilst listening to happy music and they explored painting whilst listening to sad music. The results are very interesting and you can admire their work on the display boards in the classroom. They have also been trying to express their emotions during circle time with some help from their Mr. Happy, Mr. Angry and Mr. Sad hand puppets.

This week in Class 1 the children have been getting wet at the water table! They have been experimenting with the concept of capacity using containers of different shapes and sizes. They have also been using their journals to draw and write about their feelings and experiences. Their teachers are helping by scribing about what they have drawn. The children are working very hard with their letter sounds and are doing plenty of ‘writing’ themselves too.

Class 2 have been looking at adding by identifying doubles, and near doubles. In Numeracy they have also been counting in 10’s, even trying to start from numbers that don’t end with a 0. They have been talking about Art, and I think that we need to watch out, because they have some big plans for something in the garden.

I have been lucky enough to see some Class 3 children in my room this week. They have been sent to me, so that I could see the impressive stories they have written. They have been sequencing stories and have done a fantastic job, rewriting and illustrating them. They have certainly made a big leap forward with their writing. Well done to them all! They have also been learning the key question words and how to use these with question marks in their writing.
In Numeracy they are learning all about time and how to read the time to the hour, half hour and quarter hour on an analogue clock. We all know how tricky that is when you start, so keep on trying, don’t give up.

Class 4 were the luckiest children in BEPS today when they went to visit the Pierre Marcolini factory. They had a great time, and saw all the things they had learnt about in their Unit on chocolate. They came back with goodies, the protective clothing that they had to wear and lots of new knowledge. I know that they all enjoyed themselves.
They have been making treasure for their current Unit and have started to jot down ideas for their story linked to this. They have also been studying the conventions of a limerick, and learning some limericks, and writing their own.

This week I was able to spend some time working with 5S, which is always good fun for me. In Literacy we were looking at the prefixes - mis, un, in, re, and non. The children found their own words that began with these, and then with the help of a dictionary were establishing what the prefixes meant, and if it was a word with the prefix or just one that started with those letters. Numeracy was all about tenths and decimals and understanding the link between the two.
The Unit on Dinosaurs has certainly sparked their interest and they were trying to find out which dinosaurs were herbivores and which were carnivores, and how their skeleton adapted to their diet.

This week Class 6 have been continuing their work on poetry. They have learnt to write rhyming couplets, and have been reading and analysing “The Owl and The Pussycat”. The next step will be to write their own, longer, story poem.
In Numeracy they are using and reading the units of time including decade and millennium. They are also making sure that they know how many days there are in each month, and what a leap year is.
After watching a Brain Pop video to find out what sound is and where it comes from, they have been setting up experiments to investigate sound.

Through their Literacy work, Class 7 have been familiarising themselves with the work of William Shakespeare, and what life was like when he was alive. In Numeracy they have been consolidating their ability to recognise equivalent fractions and decimals, and learning how to convert a fraction into a decimal using division.

As you can see there has certainly been lots of learning happening across the school.

I am looking forward to seeing you all on Tuesday. The Garderie will be held up in the Attic, please remember to send your child(ren) with a snack if you think they will need it.

I hope that you all enjoy the weekend.

Best Wishes,

Mandy Porrett