Site news

PTA Meeting, Cake Sale and INSET day and more.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
PTA Meeting, Cake Sale and INSET day and more.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 19 November 2010, 5:12 PM

As you know the photographer was in school yesterday. He was very impressed with the way the children responded to him and how efficiently he was able to work through his task. I am sure that there will be some lovely results, and hope that the photographs will be with you before too long.

As usual the week has rushed by and the weekend is almost here again, but each class has managed to fit in lots of work.

Bear’s Cave have been working with yellow, green and blue this week. They have made suns, frogs and flowers and spent some fun time playing with colourful balloons.

Lion’s Den have been completing their Unit all about the woods and finished the owls they started to make last week. They have also made beavers; adding sugar cube teeth and foam tails to their pictures of beavers. Their salt dough squirrels with fluffy tails are very cute too.

Class 1 have been continuing their work using the rhyme Incey Wincey Spider before embarking on developing their understanding of the letter s next week. They have been working with the number one in lots of different ways too.

Class 2 are all very good at remembering to wash their hands now, and are counting up to 20 when they do it. Eleonora’s Mum came into school to talk to them about germs and the importance of clean water and keeping clean. We would like to thank her for giving up her time to share her knowledge with the children. I know that they all learnt a lot, as they have been busily telling everybody all about what they heard. They have also been learning which letters are vowels and using the + and = signs to record addition.

In conjunction with their Unit on Celebrations Class 3 have been writing a story about birthdays this week. They have also been hearing and recognising the long vowel sounds ee, ea, e and y in lots of different words. In Numeracy they have been learning how addition is counting on, and have been putting this into practice by counting on starting from the larger number.

In Class 4 they have been finding out about festivals and traditions connected with light and which show the passage of time. I have seen them working in groups to display their findings. They have been learning expressions linked to time and trying to explain them in their own words. In Numeracy they have been reading the time both on analogue and digital clocks, and solving problems involving time.

It was a pity that Class 5 missed assembly this afternoon, as we were lucky enough to have a group of very famous and knowledgeable explorers visiting. I am sure that Class 5 would have been very interested to hear what they had to say! Well Done explorers, a fantastic job. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. Thank you also to the parents that joined our assembly.
In Numeracy our BEPS explorers have been adding and subtracting with number pairs either up to 100 or 1000. If you have the opportunity to go all the way up to Class 5 I am sure that you will be impressed with their new display of artwork, please go up and take a look.

Classes 6J and 7/6H have been putting the finishing touches to their Space books by adding a glossary and a contents page. I have had some previews of these books and they are very impressive. They have also started their new Unit: Making News. I can see that they are going to be very up to date with all the latest news over the next few weeks. In Numeracy they have been working with the standard metric units of length.

For those of you that don’t already know, we have talented teachers at BEPS. This weekend two of them are demonstrating this. Ms. Ford and Ms. Marino are taking part in a production of the musical Guys and Dolls. Last night was the opening night and we were very proud of them both and impressed with their performances. Congratulations! I know that other members of the BEPS community are going to support them and I know that they appreciate this.

The PTA would like to invite you to join them at their next meeting, which is on Monday(22nd November) at 14.00. Please come to share your thoughts on our recent Halloween/Firework Party and on their future events and missions. Everybody is welcome.

Next Thursday (25th November) Class 1 will be having their Cake Sale. Please remember to bring in your 1 Euro coins to spend on a cake or cookie at the end of the day. As usual the money that they raise will be spent on something for their class. Please support them by sending in some cakes or bringing some money to spend. Thank you in advance for your support.

Finally I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that as there is a staff INSET day next Friday (26th November) there will not be school. We will be further developing our Literacy Curriculum and spending time in the afternoon working on the Winter Concert. The children always like to know that their teachers are busy working whilst they are at home!

Have a good weekend.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett