Site news

Snowy days. The Winter Fair and a Book Fair too!

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Snowy days. The Winter Fair and a Book Fair too!
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 3 December 2010, 4:59 PM

The snow has brought lots of excitement, and the children have certainly been enjoying themselves. Thank you for sending them well wrapped up, so that they have been able to go outside to play for shorter play times when we have been sure it was safe for them to do so.
I am sure that you would like to join with me in thanking our dedicated teachers for braving the elements and being here during the snowy conditions. Journeys to and from school have not always been easy but they persevered.
We were also lucky to be able to go swimming today; the swimming teachers and bus company ensured that this could continue.

This week was the first time that Classes shared their Winter Concert pieces. We can already see that things are coming together well, and with two full weeks to practice in I know that each class will be showing their very best on Tuesday 21st December.
The next two weeks will be filled with preparations for the Winter Fair and the Winter Concert, so lots of our learning will be happening through those activities.

We hope that you will be able to join us for the Winter Fair on Wednesday. As you already know it will start at 11.00am. All of the children will have made things for you to buy. As usual the French teachers will be running the White Elephant Stall and would appreciate donations towards this. Please bring in any of your unwanted good quality items for them to sell. They will be happy to receive donations of toys, games, household goods, jewellery, etc. Please bring your donations for the stall into school between now and Wednesday and leave them next to the Lego table. Please do not send in second hand clothes or broken or damaged items. Thank you for your support.

We have decided that the money we raise at the Winter Fair and from the collection at the Winter Concert will be sent to the orphanage in Haiti that we supported last year. You may remember that this was initiated by some of our current Class 6 students. We know that there is still considerable need there, and so we would like to continue to offer our support. As we have a direct link with the orphanage we know that we will be informed of how the money is spent, and will be kept fully aware of how matters are progressing. I am sure that you will agree that this is a worthwhile cause and will help by attending the Winter Fair, or by sending your child with some money to spend.

We will also be having a Book Fair on Thursday (9th December). It will be open from 9.00 – 16.30. This may be a good opportunity to purchase books for Christmas presents or holiday reading. We will of course, receive 10% of the money that is spent to put towards books to buy for the library. Please visit the Book Fair if you can. If you were lucky enough to be amongst the winners of the pumpkin competition you will be able to spend the voucher that you won on Thursday.

We certainly have lots of things to look forward to at the moment. We are also hoping that St. Nicolas will not forget us; maybe he will pay us a visit on Monday.
You may have seen that our Christmas tree has arrived. We are gradually starting to decorate it. The first sets of lights are on but it will also be hung with chocolate coins. These will be given to the children on the last day of term.

I hope that the weather will not prevent you from doing whatever you had planned over the weekend. Keep warm and safe.

Best Wishes

Mandy Porrett