Site news

We are looking forward to International day

Picture of Mandy Porrett
We are looking forward to International day
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 28 January 2011, 4:48 PM

As I sit and write this the sun is shining, maybe there is hope that spring will come!

I have shown lots of prospective parents around this week, and know that they have been impressed with the way in which the children are learning and their enthusiasm to share this with others. All classes were extremely busy and were obviously enjoying themselves.

Bear’s Cave have been having a very sleepy time! They have been talking all about bedtime. They have made beds and blankets to put on them and made moon and star biscuits. They have really enjoyed the story “Can’t You Sleep Little Bear?” too.

Lion’s Den have been finding out that houses are made out of different things and are different shapes. They have made a houseboat, and have been painting with paint mixed with sand so that it looks like mud for walls. They looked at lots of different types of houses on the computer and talked about what all of these were made from. They have even been making mud cookies!

Class 1 have been singing rhymes again this week, these have been Jack and Jill, Hickory Dickory Dock and Mary had a little lamb. They made their own clock to go with one of the rhymes, ask them to see which one it was, I am sure they will be happy to tell you. The letter and sound of the week has been ‘n’.

In Class 2 they have been looking at people that work during the day and people who work during the night. They have been reproducing Vincent Van Gogh’s Starry Night picture, making sure that they have chosen the right colours. In Numeracy they are talking about doubles of the numbers up to 5 and looking for near doubles too. You should check out their computer work on beps-online if you have some time. I am sure you will be impressed.

Class 3 have been out in the local area making observational drawings of some of the features of the buildings that they saw. Earlier in the week their Homework was to answer some questions about their own homes. The writing they have completed using this information is fantastic, so they must have completed their homework task very well.
In Numeracy they were sorting 3D shapes and describing their features. This afternoon they were making some 3D shapes with their buddies.

I was very interested to hear that Class 4 were writing recipes, however, when I went to investigate I was not tempted to try them out. They were creating rather revolting sounding soup, which includes toenails and other unappetising things. If they invite you to dinner, please beware! On a tastier note, they have been writing descriptions of a room made out of chocolate and using similes, adjectives and alliteration in this. I am looking forward to reading these more than the soup recipes! In Numeracy they have been working with the 3, 5 and 10 times tables and linking this with division.

Class 5 had some volcanic eruptions in their class this week. By carefully reading instructions, they carried out an experiment with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda to simulate a volcanic eruption. Although they had fun doing this they were thinking about what it would be like to be there. Next week they are going to interview people that have been involved in natural disasters to find out what it is really like.
In Numeracy they have bee looking at odd and even numbers and what happens when you add and subtract them, and starting to recognise negative numbers in context. In Literacy they have been learning about words that have those tricky silent letters in.

7/6H and 6J had a very interesting entry point to their new unit “What Price Progress?” The children assured me that they were working, but half of them were playing board games or creating masterpieces with construction toys and the other half were amusing themselves without anything except their imagination and creativity. This was in fact a Science experiment, you should ask them exactly what was going on, and it is very interesting.

In Numeracy 6J they have been rounding numbers to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000 and also using their knowledge of place value to multiply and divide numbers by 10 and 100. In Literacy they have been summarising information and learning the hard and soft ‘c’ rules for spelling and reading.

Class 7 are putting the final touches to their news programme, and have been recording interviews across the school. They have been writing about the different parts of a news programme. Their spellings have been collective nouns, if you need to know the name for a group of owls these are the people to ask.
In Numeracy they have been applying doubling and halving strategies to whole numbers and decimal numbers and using these as a mental multiplication strategy.

As you are already aware next Thursday (3rd February) we will be celebrating International day at BEPS. Thank you to everyone that has already volunteered to come and share his or her cookery or dancing skills with us. If you have not yet volunteered but would like to do so, please contact Ms. Dias or Ms. Higueras so that they can include you in their plans.

As in past years, we would like the children to be able to taste a wide range of foods from across the world in their class based International Lunch. In order for this to happen we are asking you to send in a plate of food from your home country for your child(ren) to share with their class. This will be eaten instead of their usual lunches.
If you would like to come and share this experience you are welcome to do so, lunch will be eaten at 13.30. Thank you in advance for your support. Sending in finger foods, or foods that can be easily shared for lunch will be very helpful. Please contact class teachers regarding the international lunch, they will be happy to give you further information or answer your questions.

We also think that it would be great if the children could wear their national costume or something that reflects their home country.

We are looking forward to a great day, and hope that you will join us if you can. Thank you for your support.

Appointment times for Student Led Conferences will be with you on Monday.

Have a fun weekend.

Best Wishes.

Mandy Porrett