Site news

Classes have been out and about this week. Class 3 Cake Sale total. Dogs at BEPS.

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Classes have been out and about this week. Class 3 Cake Sale total. Dogs at BEPS.
by Mandy Porrett - Friday, 11 February 2011, 4:27 PM

Pre-school, 4M, 6J and 6/7H have all been out on exciting trips this week. On Tuesday all of the Pre-school children spent the day at a farm. As well as seeing and having the opportunity to touch the animals they made bread and dyed sheep fleece with red cabbage. They all had a fantastic time and reinforced what they had been learning about at school, as well as learning plenty of new things. I am glad that I had the opportunity to go with them.
Yesterday Class 4 went to Zaabar a chocolatier and epicier to learn more about the chocolate making process. They then headed down to the Sablon and Grand Place to visit some chocolate shops to find out what chocolates people prefer to buy. They were lucky enough to be given lots of samples and finished the morning with a hot chocolate before returning to school. They really enjoy this Unit of Work!
The French teachers organised a trip to the Magritte Museum for Classes 6 and 7. As soon as they returned the children were telling me that I should go because it was such a great place. They were obviously inspired by their experience.
I would like to say thank you to the teachers for organising these trips and to all of the parents who volunteered to join them to look after the children. Without your support these trips wouldn’t be possible.

Everybody else has been busy too. Class 1s rhymes for the week were ‘Mary, Mary Quite Contrary’, ‘Little Miss Muffet’ and ‘There Was An Old Lady Who Lived In A Shoe’. They are having lots of fun with their puppet theatre; you even have to purchase a ticket from the ticket office. In Numeracy they were talking about the number 8, and the letter of the week was ‘e’.
In Class 2 they have been investigating shadows. They can tell you how they are made and have been having fun with their shadow theatre. In Numeracy they have been describing position, subtracting numbers up to 20 and using near doubles to help them add. In Literacy they have been looking for words, which start with ‘st’ and ’sn’. They led assembly this afternoon and did a graet job. Well done to them all.
I was very happy to be invited up to see the writing that was happening in 3B earlier today. As you may know the Class 3 Unit of Work is all about buildings and they were writing about their dream homes. They had some very interesting, if not always practical ideas for their homes! I like the idea of marshmallows under a trampoline so that you wont hurt yourself if you fall off. I am sure that 3G will have equally exciting ideas, and look forward to reading those. In Literacy they are comparing the differences between fiction and non-fiction books. In Numeracy they have been counting on and back in 1s and 10s from 2 and 3 digit numbers.
As well as going on their trip Class 4 have been exploring the journey of a cocoa bean from plant to chocolate bar. In Literacy they are exploring antonyms and synonyms, and in Numeracy have been adding and subtracting multiples of 10 and 100 to and from 3 or 4 digit numbers.
Class 5 have been reflecting on the interviews that they had with parents who had experienced natural disasters. Last week some parents came into their classroom to answer the children’s questions about what it was like to have been in a natural disaster and the children learnt a lot from listening to these accounts. Thank you for giving up your time to come and talk with them. In Numeracy they have been deriving doubles and halves of multiples of numbers between 10 and 5000. In Literacy they are starting to talk about poetry.
Classes 6J and 6/7H have both been writing and sorting questions this week. These questions are related to the invention they will be finding out about, and they have discovered that the questions can be grouped in different ways using a concept wheel.
6/7H have been working with fractions this week, whilst in 6J they have been recording, sorting and handling data linked to their Unit of Work to produce line graphs. For both classes their reading circles have been the basis of their Literacy lessons.
Following their trip to the farm Bear’s Cave and Lion’s Den have been finding out even more about farms and farm animals. The children in Bear’s Cave have made sheep, played with animal puzzles and printed with toy tractor wheels. In Lion’s Den they drew their day at the farm, made a farm scene and ‘pricked’ out the barn doors and have been playing with the farm animals on the carpet.

Despite the rain Class 3 had a very successful Cake Sale yesterday. Your generosity and support resulted in them raising a total of 184.70 Euros. Once again thank you. They will be spending the money on a trip related to their next Unit of work.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that dogs should not be brought into school or the playground. This is for safety and hygiene reasons, and also because some members of our community are scared of dogs. If you really have to bring your dog into the playground please carry it. We thank those of you that are tying your dog to the fence at the back of school, but ask you to avoid putting them too close to the gate. Thank you for your understanding and support in this matter.

Next week we will be preparing for our Student Led Conferences, I am sure that you will have already seen the displays that are appearing across the school.

I hope that you have a restful weekend.

Best Wishes.

Mandy Porrett