Site news

Information about the new school year

Picture of Mandy Porrett
Information about the new school year
by Mandy Porrett - Monday, 29 August 2011, 6:50 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you all back to BEPS, for the academic year of 2011-2012.

I hope that you have all had a wonderful summer, and that you are all looking forward to a successful and exciting year.

Each new school year is an exhilarating prospect with many events and opportunities to look forward to. Once again I am waiting with anticipation for the year to start, and am looking forward to seeing everybody and the school being full of life. I know that the year will also present new challenges, and that we will work together to succeed and move forwards. I am very lucky to be working within the supportive BEPS environment where we all have a common aim – the children, their learning and their well being. I know that we will all strive to ensure that BEPS is the very best it can be.

The new school year has already brought us some challenges. On 17th August the Longchamp swimming pool informed us that we can no longer use their facilities. The information we received is below:

“L'ASBL Piscine Longchamp est confrontee a I'augmentation des demandes d'occupations des ecoles uccloises.

Par consequent, je suis au regret de devoir vous informer que nous ne pourrons plus acceuillir vos eleves a partir du 1er septembre 2011.

Je ne manquerai pas de prendre contact avec vous si des plages horaires devraient se liberer. Je vous prie d'agreer Madame la Directrice mes salutations les plus distinguees.”

This was not good news, and we know from past experience that trying to find an alternative venue is very difficult. We have already started looking into finding a solution, and would be happy to hear of any suggestions you could offer.

However on a positive note we have managed to secure additional time at the World International School (WIS) gym, which will mean that the children will all be able to have a PE lesson each week until we find a new swimming pool. Lower School Classes will continue to have PE on Monday mornings and now the Upper School Classes will have it on Thursday mornings. Thank you for your support and understanding whilst we are trying to solve this set back.

We were also hit by the bad weather. Class 1 and the basement suffered some flooding after a particularly violent rain and thunderstorm. Luckily Ms. Dias was on hand to help us with the mopping up and with a dehumidifier and fan running in the classroom we are well on our way back to normal conditions. By Monday 5th everything will be ready for the new Class 1 children to move in. We have also arranged for a company to come in and establish why this happened, and to identify the work, which will be needed to prevent this from happening again.

Luc, our handyman has been working very hard during the holiday. He has installed a new kitchen and storage cupboards in the Pre-school building and has been preparing the new small classroom for our additional Lion’s Den class. The new furniture for this class arrived today, and I know that Melissa Dobbs, the new teacher is looking forward to setting everything up tomorrow. You will have to go over to Pre-school to see his handy work.

We also have a very happy ICT teacher. Oscar is working hard to set up the twelve new computers that were delivered last week. He has been smiling ever since they arrived! This means that the older computers from the computer room can be distributed around the school and the very oldest computers in the school no longer need to be used. I am sure that all of the children will be even happier to go to Computer lessons now.

Practical information.

The first Day
The first day of school is on Monday 5th September. As usual we will start at 9.00 am. (doors will be open at 8.30am) and end at 3.30 pm.

Clubs (after school activities)
Information regarding the clubs available for this term will be sent out on Monday 5th September. Clubs will commence the week beginning Monday12th September.

Hot lunches
Hot lunches will start on Monday 5th September. All children will need to bring a snack and a bottle of water with them to school each day too.

Garderie
Garderie will start on Monday 5th September, and will run up until 6.00 pm. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and until 3.00 pm. on Wednesday.

Welcome Evenings
On Thursday 8h September we will be holding a Welcome Evening for parents. The purpose of this evening is to provide you with information about your child’s class. Essentially it is an opportunity to understand more about how the class works, and the partnership between home and school.

Lower School – (Classes 1-3) 6.00 - 6.30 pm

Upper School – (Classes 4 -7) 6.45 – 7.15 pm

Pre-School will hold their Welcome Evening on Tuesday 13th September at 6.00 pm.

Updated Class lists will be posted on the Secretary’s Desk for parents tomorrow (Tuesday). These will include the names of our new students.

I am really looking forward to seeing all the children again and for BEPS to be filled with the usual buzz of excitement that they bring with them.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes.

Mandy Porrett